Youth Savings Accounts
Blackhawk Community Credit Union is committed to helping parents get their children off on the right foot financially. We offer several specially designed packages to help them learn to save, spend and borrow responsibly.
Youth Savings Account
BHCCU rewards children for starting good savings habits by paying a higher rate of interest on their deposits. A youth savings account with a higher savings rate can be set up for any child under 18. All you need is $5 to open.
Money Minder Accounts
Ages 12 & Under, Joint Accounts with an Adult
- Earn higher interest on savings account balances
- Deposit anytime with the Smart Saver Certificate, featuring no minimum and up to a 12 month term
- Pay allowance automatically with Allowance Transfer
- Enjoy free AJ’s Mall Quarterly Newsletter
- Receive coin-sorter bank, Adventures in Savings activity book and Teach Children About Money pamphlet
Money Maker Accounts
Ages 13 to 17, Joint Accounts with an Adult
- Earn Money Minder savings rates; Even higher rates when balance is over $1,000
- Enjoy the Smart Saver Certificate, described above
- Obtain an ATM Card with a maximum withdrawal limit with joint owner’s permission
- Open a Hawk’s checking account and receive How to Manage Your Checking Account pamplet
- Enjoy free C-Note University Quarterly Newsletter
- Receive the Guide to Money Handbook and Helping Your Teen Become Accountable pamphlet
Money Maker Accounts
At ages 16 & 17 there are some additional benefits to your savings
- An increase in the ATM Card maximum withdrawal amount
- Gain deposit capability
- Start using Online and Mobile Banking with joint owner’s permission
That perfect first checking account. Convenient, secure, and no minimum balance, no service charges or per check charges, and your balances earn dividends. Eligible members are age 13-17.
- First box of checks free (25 count)
- Free Online & Mobile Banking
- Debit Card available with parent signature. (Withdrawal limits are age-based.)
- Free eStatements
Membership automatically makes graduating high school seniors eligible for BHCCU’s college scholarships.
Liberty Checking is a free basic checking as a long as you use e-statements. No per check fees or minimum balances! You also get a host of other free services that you would expect from your credit union.
- Online Banking
- No annual fee Debit Card
- Mobile Banking (text or smart phone)
- Bill pay
- eAlerts to help you track your balance
Although Blackhawk does not currently provide student loan financing, there are many great resources available to help you through the process.
The first step in preparing for college is applying for Federal Student Aid. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
After making use of grants, scholarships and federal loans, there still may be unmet education expenses. There are private student loans available, but keep in mind they are not backed by the federal government, offer less flexibility and will likely have a higher interest rate.
You may be able to combine your existing Federal education loans into one new consolidated loan that offers several advantages.
For more information on preparing for college check out this site!
A website that provides students and college graduates with important information on money management, student loans, budgeting and credit cards. It provides helpful information, techniques, tools and practical advice on how to approach financial situations.